Best Used Vehicles for Teens
Is your teen gearing up to get behind the wheel for the first time? It’s no secret that every parent worries when their teenager gets behind the wheel, especially for the first time. In a day and age in which distractions are everywhere you look, safety, especially while driving is of utmost importance. Whether it’s packed with high-tech safety features, or simply built safely, picking n affordable, yet safe vehicle for your teen is a must. Below is a list of our favorite used vehicles for teenagers, give it a read before you shop at Manheim Imports located in Manheim, PA.
When picking out a used vehicle for your teen driver, safety should always come first. Being that we’re in the golden age of technology, most cars will come with high-tech safety features designed to make drivers of all ages feel safer. There are some fantastic safety features out now, budget depending, these are some great safety features you should look out for on the vehicle your teen will be driving. Here are some of the features we recommend:
- Anti-Lock Brakes: An absolute must-have safety feature on any vehicle. Also known as an anti-lock brake system (ABS), this safety feature “pumps” the brakes to maximize stopping power in an emergency braking situation. This feature will feel as if the car is “shuddering”, do not be alarmed however, that is ABS at work that you’re feeling and is normal. ABS will provide maximum braking power while allowing you to safely steer around obstacles.
- Traction Control: Another great safety feature, Traction Control (TCS) uses the ABS feature to control acceleration, slowing down the vehicle in a controlled manner by slowing a spinning drive wheel.
- Stability Control: Yet another safety feature tied to ABS, this feature utilizes ABS to apply braking to the corresponding wheel or wheels, correcting a vehicle slide. A great feature to have for those windy back roads and rainy evenings.
- Forward-collision Warning: This system uses sensors to detect objects in front of your vehicle, when it detects an object an audible warning signal is triggered to bring the driver’s attention to the object in front of them. If the system detects an impending collision, it will automatically apply the vehicle’s brakes if there is no immediate driver input to avoid the collision. This is a great feature for distracted teen drivers.
- Blind-spot Detection: A life-saving invention, blind-spot detection uses sensors or cameras to detect cars in your vehicle’s blind-spot, undetectable to most drivers. A visual warning is typically given, in the form of lights on the mirrors or A-pillar of the car. Some vehicles even include an audible warning as well. This safety feature is great for new teen drivers that are still wrapping their minds around blind spots.
With safety being the number one concern for parents with their children behind the wheel, it’s important to consider this list of great safety features. Keep this shortlist in mind on your search for your teen’s first vehicle and your teen will be plenty safe behind the wheel.
Looking for your teenager’s first vehicle? Come to Manheim Imports and check out our wide selection of used vehicles, packed with safety features designed to keep your teen driver safe behind the wheel.
Which Used Car is Best for My Teen?
Picking the right vehicle for a teenager can seem like an impossible task, especially if you’re trying to stick to a budget, that’s why we made this great list of used vehicles to consider. With a sea full of options when it comes to used vehicles, it’s a great help to have somewhere to start your search, and this list is exactly that. Read up on this list of the best, used vehicles for teenagers, then stop in here at Manheim Imports to find the right vehicle for your teenager!
2017 Toyota Rav4
The Toyota Rav4 has consistently been a top pick amongst parents buying for their teens, due in part to its winning of the IIHS Top Safety Pick+ in 2017. The Rav4 is a stylish sport-utility vehicle with a plethora of great safety features and great gas mileage. We recommend looking for an SE trim model, which has the most safety features amongst the Rav4 lineup. Fitted with LED headlights, dual-zone automatic climate control, fog lights, lane-departure warning, lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and even automatic high beams, this 2017 Toyota Rav4 is a great choice for keeping your teen driver safe and stylish.
2017 Honda CR-V
Redesigned completely for the 2017 year, the Honda CR-V is a teen driver-friendly vehicle known for its comfort and safety features. The EX model comes with a bunch of driver assists such as blind-spot monitoring and lane-keep assist, as well as convenient fog lights and dual climate control features. Always reliable and dependable, the Honda CR-V is a great choice for new teen drivers, loved by parents all over America.
2019 Mazda Mazda3
One of the best in its segment, the 2019 Mazda3 is a great compact sedan for teen drivers. A recipient of top crash safety test scores from IIHS and NHTSA, the 2019 Mazda3 is a top choice vehicle for teen drivers. Look for the Select model, it comes equipped with LED headlights, integrated mirror turn signals, adaptive cruise control, eight airbags, and a slew of driver-assist features, all to keep your teenager safe behind the wheel.
2018 Mazda CX-5
Another great showing from Mazda is their 2018 CX-5, a mid-size SUV that’s quite comparable to the Honda CR-V and Toyota Rav4. The Touring trim of the CX-5 is our favorite, loaded with driver-assists and advanced safety features. Equipped with LED headlights, dual-zone climate control, and adaptive cruise control, the CX-5 is as comfortable as it is convenient. Comfortable and convenient, the CX-5 was also an IIHS top safety pick back in 2018 as well.
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
An IIHS top safety pick in 2019, the Subaru Crosstrek is a sporty, yet safe choice for your teenager. Designed to go anywhere, the Crosstrek is a crossover SUV that gets great gas mileage and even has all-wheel drive. Not only is the Crosstrek safe, but it also comes packed with features if you choose the Premium trim, including things like adaptive cruise control, fog lights, and automatic climate control.
2014 Ford Taurus
A model that’s seen production since the mid-80s, the Ford Taurus is a top pick amongst parents who are looking to buy their teenager a safe, comfortable vehicle. The reason we suggest looking for a 2014 or newer Taurus is that the IIHS lists all post 2013 Ford Taurus’ as having longer side-curtain airbags and improved protection during crash events. Relied on by government fleets, most notably police departments, the Ford Taurus is an ultra-reliable vehicle with incredible safety ratings.
Picking the Right Vehicle
In this day and age, with all the distractions on the road, it’s paramount that you keep your teenage driver safe behind the wheel. We know that nothing short of driving your teen everywhere will bring complete peace of mind, but putting them behind the wheel of an IIHS top safety pick can definitely ease those worries.
No matter which vehicle you choose, you can be assured that this list was curated with your teenager’s safety in mind, with all vehicles listed being the top IIHS safety picks. Protect your precious cargo by putting them behind the wheel of a used vehicle packed with great safety features. Here at Manheim Imports, we have a wide selection of used vehicles that have been awarded the IIHS top safety pick, so stop by and find your teenager’s first vehicle!
0 comment(s) so far on Best Used Vehicles for Teens